An internal knowledge base, or internal KB, is used by employees within a company to support business activities. This platform acts as a centralized hub to process, store and facilitate the movement of knowledge. The type of information within a KB varies, but shares a common goal of assisting employees with collaboration and productivity.
Unlike external knowledge bases, information on an internal wiki should and can only be accessed by internal team members. All this information is confidential and not available to the public, such as investors or customers. Internal KBs can also allow sensitive information to only be accessed by certain departments or people within the company.
What Should Be Included in an Internal Knowledge Base
An internal knowledge base is a powerful resource to aid work processes, so any of the materials that fulfil this criteria should go into one. However, in general, there are various types of documentations that should be included in an internal knowledge base:
- General company information – office information, company reports, SOPs, supplier and customer contact lists.
- Training and onboarding materials – course materials, onboarding handbooks, new hire FAQs, training manuals, workbooks.
- Media materials – press releases, media images and media lists
- Marketing collateral – templates for digital marketing collateral, brand guidelines, digital content, creative brief templates, marketing strategy, buyer persona, A/B testing plan, KPIs and reports
- Sales collateral – customer-handoff guides, sales pitch decks, brochures, sell sheets, text or video-based case studies, sales process information and sales reports
- Design materials – templates, design guidelines, color codes
- Research materials – consumer reports, surveys and questionnaires, competitor analysis, external studies and insights.
- Company announcements and important information – internal company updates, upcoming events, workarounds and new hire announcements.
- Legal documentation – legal contracts, forms and regulatory requirements.
- Customer service – telemarketing scripts, email and SMS templates, customer onboarding call scripts, customer FAQs, guides and helpful tips.
- HR materials – chain of command and team information, payslips and employee reviews.